1. Settlement

In 1769, the first and most important settlement north of the Missouri River was Saint Charles, originally known as Les Petite Côtes or the Little Hills. Contemporaries of Louis Blanchette[1] stated that he and his wife Tuhomehenga, either an Osage or Pawnee who later took the name Angelique[2] had settled along a spring fed creek. At that time the district of St. Charles embraced all the territory with the limits of the Spanish boundaries north of the Missouri River.[3] The village was situated at the foot of a range of small hills, sufficiently high to protect it from the overflows of the Missouri. The Distrito de San Carlos (District of St. Charles) was formally platted by Rene Auguste Chouteau in 1786. In 1789, Blanchette was appointed  commandante (Commandant) of a district that contained 164 white males, 82 white females, four male slaves, four female slaves, and one free female negro, and reached as far north as British Canada.  {St. Charles County Heritage, Vol.26, No.2, April 2008]

FOR MORE SEE…

THE OSAGE

LOUIS BLANCHETTE

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: