ST. CHARLES COUNTY HISTORY

By Dorris Keeven-Franke

  • An O’Fallon Family Scrapbook

    Bertha Krekel was born in O’Fallon, on December 25, 1859, she was the second child of Nicholas Krekel, who together with his brother Arnold Krekel, had founded the town on August 6, 1856. Her father Nicholas had been born in Germany on August 30, 1825 and had emigrated with his family at the age of seven. His father had brought his family to America in 1832 and had settled in southwestern St. Charles County, near Dutzow. Nicholas purchased the land where he would build a home for his wife, and live together after their marriage on August 15, 1857 from his brother Arnold. By the time Bertha was born, O’Fallon had its’ own Post Office and Train Depot, which her father managed.

    Bertha
    Bertha Krekel in 1888

    Bertha spent her entire life in that same house on Main Street (today’s Cleo Bridal Shop) where she would be surrounded by her family and in the center of the community. She and her father were very close. Her sister Mary would marry William Westhoff on October 13, 1892 and after their father’s death on February 6, 1910 Bertha would continue to live in what became William and Mary’s home, the Westhoff place.  A real hub of the community, it was just across the street from the Westhoff Mercantile. There the young lady, who never married, took a liking to writing about the bustling town’s events, and wrote about the daily life and its’ eventual history. As the City had a newspaper, and her uncle Arnold Krekel was also involved with two of St. Charles’ newspapers, there was an easy outlet for the young muse’s talents. She wrote under a pen name, which was a custom at that time – of Clio – the muse of history, who inspired the development of liberal and fine arts in ancient Greece.

    Here are a few newspaper clippings in Bertha Krekel’s scrapbook that bring the history of O’Fallon to life.

    June 1912  History of O’Fallon as written by a Ms. Keithly

    This is from a book of newspaper clippings kept by the Krekel family. Bertha must have been quite the historian, as she took it upon herself to freely editorialize facts published by Miss Keithly, and are what are shared in this story. Otherwise, it is exactly the way it was published in June of 1912, and shares quite a bit of history by someone whose family played a prominent role in the town of O’Fallon when it was young.

    Original Plat of the Town of O’Fallon, Missouri

    Note: The map is looking north, and all property shown on this plat lies WEST of MAIN STREET which is Hwy. K, which is the right hand border of where the town originally ended. (That is NOT Sonderen.)

    St. Charles County Recorder of Deeds
  • The Osage in Saint Charles

    When French Canadian Louis Blanchette (1739-1793), founder of the City of Saint Charles, arrived in 1769, his only neighbors were the American Indians. The Sauk, Fox, Pottowatomie and Osage were the predominant tribes, using the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers for passage, to trade furs with the settlers in St. Louis.

    The Osage had been shoved eastward from the Ohio valley into Illinois, then here. Here, the tall fierce tribe would often clash with the others tribes over hunting grounds. They soon developed a closer relationship with the French-Canadians fur traders and other white settlers than some tribes, often intermarrying.

    As our area was traded back and forth between Spain and France, settlers from Kentucky and Virginia moved in. They followed the friends and families of trailblazer Daniel Boone, who had come in search of a wide frontier. As the early settlers found themselves United States residents again, with the Louisiana Purchase in 1804, the American Indians were overwhelmed. With the white man came disease, killing thousands. Everyone fought for the land, the British, the Spanish claimants, the American pioneers, and the Native Americans.

    When William Clark led his men The Corps of Discovery westward with Meriwether Lewis, he had spotted an ideal prominent point, which would later officially become Fort Clark, known by all as Fort Osage. He would return, led by Nathan Boone, by using what became the Boone’s Lick trail. In 1808, at Fort Clark,

    In the east, the War of 1812, often called the second Revolutionary War, would also affect us. Here, it was better known as the Indian War. While the settlers built forts in defense of depredations by Indians, the original residents fought for a way of life, and a land, that had been their home for ages. Afterwards, the settlers flooded the land once home for many tribes, including the Osage, and treaties were made. A treaty of 1804 had stated

    The United States being anxious to promote peace, friendship and intercourse with the Osage tribes, to afford them every assistance in their power, and to protect them from the insults and injuries of other tribes of Indians, situated near the settlements of the white people, have thought proper to build a fort on the right bank of the Missouri.

    George C. Sibley (1782-1863) would be appointed the fort’s manager, called the factor.
    By 1815, the United States would treaty with all tribes, at Portage des Sioux along the Mississippi, including the Osage.

    A treaty of peace and friendship, made and concluded between William Clark, Ninian Edwards, and Auguste Chouteau, Commissioners Plenipotentiary of the United States of America, on the part and behalf of the said States, of the one part; and the undersigned King, Chiefs, and Warriors, of the Great and Little Osage Tribes or Nations, on the part and behalf of their said Tribes or Nations, of the other part... the said tribes do hereby solemnly promise and agree that they will put an end to the bloody war which has heretofore raged between their tribes and those of the Great and Little Osages.

    Enter your email to subscribe to more stories like this…

  • O’Fallon, Missouri

    The founding of O’Fallon, Missouri was truly the joint enterprise of two German born brothers. It was the older brother, Arnold Krekel, who would purchase 320 acres of land from Francis Smith which adjoined the Keithley plantation, survey his property and lay out its’ original town plat, giving it the name of O’Fallon. His younger brother, Nicholas, would be its’ first resident, Stationmaster, and Postmaster, and take charge of the sale of lots. It would also be because of Nicholas and Mena Krekel’s strong Catholic faith, that Assumption Church would be founded.

    Nicholas Krekel had come to O’Fallon on August 6, 1856, and would complete his log house just in time to bring his new wife Wilhelmina Moritz, the daughter of Casper and Sophie Moritz, to their new home on  their wedding day, August 15, 1857. Wilhelmina “Mena” Moritz was the daughter of Casper and Sophie Moritz. Born in Bielefeld, Germany, July 17, 1838, she and her family came to America by way of New Orleans during the 1850s, and her family had settled in Florissant. This  was a strong Catholic community that had begun coming to America in 1833, and most likely had many families that had connections all the way back to Germany.

    Mrs.N.Krekel
    Mena and Emma Krekel

    Nicholas and Mena Krekel’s first child was a daughter who they named Emma, born in 1858. Nicholas had been appointed Stationmaster on the North Missouri Railroad which began in 1851. Soon after Nicholas was appointed Postmaster of O’Fallon on February 11, 1859, as all Station Agents were also Postmasters. That Christmas their next daughter Bertha was born. And by 1860, he was well on his way to establishing himself as a merchant and running the town’s new Post Office. A young 17 year-old German girl from Hannover named Donetta Kipp was a servant in their home.

    In 1861, Nicholas had joined the Union Army, and was serving in Missouri’s Home Guard, in Captain Newstadter’s Company H, as a Private. His brother Arnold, who was a Lt. Colonel in the Home Guard, was not well liked either by some of the Krekel family’s neighbors, and this story which was shared by Julia Darst in the Keithley family papers at the St. Charles County Historical Society recounts a day in the life of O’Fallon during the Civil War: “They marched in front of us, on the road that ran past the house, and they did this regular patrol almost every day.” The Keithley farm was “on the main road” (today’s Main Street) to the south of O’Fallon. The Union soldiers were known as Krekel’s “Deutsch” and the “southern sympathizers like the Keithleys had very little respect. Never the less “Krekel was and there were more Union sympathizers in the O’Fallon area than Southern. He had the perfect right to march his contingent, up and down certain roads. Virtually every morning they did that march.”

    The original plat for the City of O’Fallon can be found in the St. Charles County Recorder of Deeds, Plat Book 2, Page 38 & 39, with some interesting landmarks that I think everyone will enjoy.  A Public Sale of Lots was held on July 22, 1870, and the plat was officially recorded in 1871.  

    Survey drawn by Arnold Krekel of the original town of O'Fallon, Missouri.
    This Original Plat of the City of O’Fallon shows the lot sold to the Archdiocese for Assumption Catholic Church on Lot B9

    Would you like more? subscribe and get email updates for new posts like this…